Quantcast

testing udp protocols

JJ

testing udp protocols

JJ
Hello, i am new to the grinder and I may have a stupid question.

I am considering using the grinder to test load a server with an UDP
protocol, but currently i am not sure if the grinder allow for such
test.
I have red that it can allow to test any protocol, but at the same time
it well documented for TCP/HTTP based protocol but not for an udp one.

Is it stupid to consider the grinder for this ?

What would be the step to test this udp protocol. ? provide a udp client
implementation as java library and call from jython? something else ?

I am not sure if this is the best place to ask for help, but i could not
find a better forum on sourceforge. Please let me know a better place or
any useful pointers.

kind regards.

JJ.

ps: trying to search this mailing list on sourceforge is denied with
message "connection refused".

Re: testing udp protocols

Philip Aston-2
The grinder-use list is the appropriate forum for general "how do I"
questions. The search link just worked for me, so I assume it was a
temporary sourceforge problem . You can also search the lists at
http://gmane.org/find.php?list=grinder.

Yes, you can test the UDP protocol directly. The JDK may be all you
need. See https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=java+udp+client for plenty
of examples.

To understand how to wrap the UDP code up with The Grinder, see
http://grinder.sourceforge.net/g3/scripts.html, or browse
http://grinder.sourceforge.net/g3/script-gallery.html.

One problem you may encounter is how to measure the time a call takes.
If your UDP protocol is "request / response", then you might write a
helper function that makes a request then blocks for a response. You can
then measure how long it takes to do a round trip. On the other hand,
maybe your protocol is "one-way", and you send messages for which there
aren't necessarily responses. In this case, the time it takes to "send
the message" is pretty meaningless because its just the time take to
hand off to the network stack.

Please follow up to grinder-use.

- Phil