Quantcast

how to specialize JVM parameter per process ?

how to specialize JVM parameter per process ?

olivier merlin
Hi,

does someone know how to have one grinder.jvm.arguments parameter per worker ?
I would like to trace a memory leak issue on 2 processes with:

grinder.jvm.arguments=-verbosegc -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintTenuringDistribution -Xloggc:/tmp/loggc.txt

The problem is that i have only one parameter, so only one file ...

Thanks
Olivier

Re: how to specialize JVM parameter per process ?

Gary Mulder-3
On 22 April 2015 at 16:36, olivier merlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

does someone know how to have one grinder.jvm.arguments parameter per worker ?
I would like to trace a memory leak issue on 2 processes with:

grinder.jvm.arguments=-verbosegc -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintTenuringDistribution -Xloggc:/tmp/loggc.txt

The problem is that i have only one parameter, so only one file ...

Assuming I understand what you are asking, if you're using Linux you could wrap the java executable in a script on the server where you want to add the extra parameters, e.g. something like:

mv /usr/bin/java /usr/bin/java.orig

cat > /usr/bin/java <<EOF
#!/bin/sh

/usr/bin/java.orig <my-debug-params> $*
EOF

chmod +x /usr/bin/java

Gary

Re: how to specialize JVM parameter per process ?

olivier merlin
Hi Gary
The problem is that the worker processes are spawned by the agent, so your suggestion cannot work.
Olivier

Re: how to specialize JVM parameter per process ?

Philip Aston-2
I'd use a separate Agent for your special worker.

Then you can start that Agent with

  java -Dgrinder.jvm.arguments="blah blah blah" net.grinder.Grinder

to override the values in grinder.properties or supplied by the console.

- Phil

On 22/04/15 17:58, Olivier wrote:

> Hi Gary
> The problem is that the worker processes are spawned by the agent, so
> your suggestion cannot work.
> Olivier

Yes You are right, This a good solution to track our memory leak
Well done Phil !
Olivier