Quantcast

Running multiple agents in different machines and a single console in another

Running multiple agents in different machines and a single console in another

shatakirti
Hello,

I am facing some issues with the setting up of Grinder. The grinder that is currently set up is on local machine. The code and the properties file. But, here is what i am trying to achieve:

1. Grinder console on 192.168.3.254 (properties and code are here)
2. Grinder agent1 on 192.168.3.12
3. Grinder agent2 on 192.168.3.14

I want Grinder to distribute the source files to the agents present remotely. Please tell me the changes i have to make to the properties file in all the three systems and how to run the agents and the console. I am using windows server for the console and unix systems for the rest. The IP's i mentioned above are dummy.

Kirti

Re: Running multiple agents in different machines and a single console in another

Sean Tiley
Hope this helps

On each of the agent machines, in your grinder folder (where you will be starting the grinder from), edit the grinder.properties file and set the grinder.consoleHost property to the IP address of the console grinder.consoleHost =/192.168.3.254.

Start the console.

On the 2 agent machines start the grinder from the command line and you should
see the agents aware the console is running elsewhere.
(Something to the effect of  - 2014-01-15 09:58:24,467 INFO  agent: connected to console at /192.168.3.254:6372)

Then in the console you can use the UI to distribute the files to the agents and you will see details of the files moved in the command windows on the agent machines.

Then you just start it all off with the console.

There was a great spot I read about this but I cannot seem to locate it anylonger.  Once I find, I'll send it along.

Sean

 on the agent machine
On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 8:54 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I am facing some issues with the setting up of Grinder. The grinder that is
currently set up is on local machine. The code and the properties file. But,
here is what i am trying to achieve:

1. Grinder console on 192.168.3.254 (properties and code are here)
2. Grinder agent1 on 192.168.3.12
3. Grinder agent2 on 192.168.3.14

I want Grinder to distribute the source files to the agents present
remotely. Please tell me the changes i have to make to the properties file
in all the three systems and how to run the agents and the console. I am
using windows server for the console and unix systems for the rest. The IP's
i mentioned above are dummy.

Sean Tiley

Re: Running multiple agents in different machines and a single console in another

shatakirti
Hi Sean.

I have tried as you said. But for some reason, the agent is unable to connect to the Console. It waits for sometime (about 60 seconds) and then gives the following message in the terminal:

2014-01-28 10:35:10,331 INFO  agent: The Grinder 3.11
2014-01-28 10:36:13,526 WARN  agent: Failed to connect to '/192.168.3.254:6372', proceeding without the console; set grinder.useConsole=false to disable this warning.
2014-01-28 10:36:13,529 ERROR agent: The script file 'source/grinder.py' does not exist or is not readable.
2014-01-28 10:36:13,530 INFO  agent: finished

--------------
On the console machine i did netstat -at and i could see that the agent is in fact listening to the 6372 port. Here is what it looks like
  TCP    0.0.0.0:6372           A*****-***ASD      LISTENING       InHost
--------------
On the grinder.properties in the Agent : I have set grinder.consoleHost=192.168.3.254. The grinder.consolePort is commented as the default is what i need.
--------------

Please help me out. Thanks a lot.
Kirti

Re: Running multiple agents in different machines and a single console in another

shatakirti
GOT IT...........!! Thanks Sean. It worked. There was an issue with the firewall. It was blocking the connections for some reason. Your setup suggestion was correct. Thanks again. It was a big help. :)
Kirti

Re: Running multiple agents in different machines and a single console in another

kajal.bisht06@gmail.com
Hi Kriti ,

I am new to Grinder tool as my company are planning to start work on Grinder performance tool.So, do you have any idea about this tool ,please share with me as i tried to search the matter on the net but didn't find anything useful .

Thanks
Kajal

Re: Running multiple agents in different machines and a single console in another

shatakirti
Hi Kajal,

I am not sure what you are asking for. But if you ask me, the grinder documentation here is the pretty much all you will need.
http://grinder.sourceforge.net/g3/manual.html

http://grinder.sourceforge.net/g3/features.html

Check it out. I can tell you one thing. So far, i am very happy with the kind of flexibility that is offered by grinder.
Kirti