Running Multiple Scripts Concurrently Using Grinder

Running Multiple Scripts Concurrently Using Grinder

Christine Economy
Hi Grinder World Members,

I'm a performance engineer who has used Loadrunner and QTP
for several years, and have used JMeter a few times as well, but
just started using Grinder.  I've run some large tests, but have not had
to run multiple scripts concurrently until now, and I'm hoping someone out
will be kind enough to offer some help/guidance.  I have to have this working
for a super high visibility project in the next one and a half.

I'm basically looking for an equivalent to Loadrunner's multiple scripts in a
scenario, or HTTP requests with JMeter.

I did some homework/Googling before reaching out to you -
and found this helpful link:

Apologies if I'm being dense on this, but I'm not seeing the step by step
thought process; for example, where/how is the divisor (4 in most cases in the doc
at the link) is being arrived at.  I think just a bit of input from someone who has done
this will make it clear.

Also, is anything additional needed along with the master script?

Thanks very much for your time and help.

Best regards,
Chris

Re: Running Multiple Scripts Concurrently Using Grinder

Christine Economy
Hi Adil,

Thanks for your amazingly quick response - I know now that the Grinder network
does respond! (not all tech networks are that good).

I'm using an environment set-up by someone who is not longer at the company.
I've searched for a parallel.py script in al directories, and nothing is/was found.
Possibly, multi-script runs have not been done in this area..

Do you have one that has worked for you?  How does it relate tho the master
script?  I'm hoping you're right when you say it's pretty easy.  It IS pretty easy
with Loadrunner and JMeter.

I really appreciate your time and help!

Thanks and regards,
Chris

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Adil qureshi <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

 I have attached it here . You can extend it beyond thread numbers to adding similar checks on agents ,script names etc  ...

 However you have to code  ;)

 If you download grinder from the website there are many other useful scripts present in grinder-3.11\examples

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 10:12 PM, Christine Economy <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

parallel.py (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Running Multiple Scripts Concurrently Using Grinder

Gary Mulder-3

Hi Christine,

The filename of the script is usually defined in the Grinder configuration file.

Conceptually, all Grinder threads execute the same test program, unlike in LoadRunner where you assign threads to different test scripts. A simple Jython solution to this is for each thread to essentially use conditional logic to execute different code paths as a function of the thread id.

Regards,
Gary

On 23 Jun 2015 10:15 pm, "Christine Economy" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ouray Viney
Hi Christine,

An approach that you could consider is to have your scripts read this info from a resource file to allow for easy configuration changes.  You could have the desired virtual user court or threads defined in an external CSV file.

You could augment the example of the parallel.py and expand on it a bit.

An example would be read in the file, create a hash map or python list - each element being a thread instruction (for lack of a better term).

In your CSV file, you could have 1 column be the script name followed by the 2nd column representing the virtual user account.

While you read in the file if you identify vu=5; that simply means you need to load up five grinder threads dynamically for the script name 'sample.py'.

To run this, you could assign grinder.threads equals to 1 so that the thread will spawn up the parallel.py.   Then, depending on your CSV file your parallel.py would automatically load up (see Api docs for appropriate method call) the the required number of threads.

I prefer this approach to the statically define thread IDs as it resembles LR's concept of a scenario.

This approach allows you to define the number of threads and individual scripts in a CSV file which is easy to edit.

Let me know, I could proved some simple code samples to help you get a working sample.

HTH,

Ouray Viney

On Jun 23, 2015, at 5:30 PM, Gary Mulder <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Ouray,

One working example usually goes a long way to help understanding
something new.   An example would be very much appreciated.

Thanks again,
Chris

http://grinder.sourceforge.net/g3/script-gallery.html#parallel.py

Re: Running Multiple Scripts Concurrently Using Grinder

Christine Economy
Thanks, Gary!   This is tremendously helpful now and also going forward working with Grinder.
Thanks again - and for being willing to share your knowledge.  I always check
Amazon for books on any new tech areas I venture into.  Didn't see one for The Grinder.
Have you ever considered writing one?

I do have one potentially dumb question I'd like to ask you about the parallel
script:  where is the value of 4 coming from?  Why 4 in this case?

Thanks again for your time and help!

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 12:07 AM, Gary Mulder <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 24 Jun 2015 12:45 am, "Christine Economy" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ouray,
>
> One working example usually goes a long way to help understanding
> something new.   An example would be very much appreciated.

http://grinder.sourceforge.net/g3/script-gallery.html#parallel.py

Re: Running Multiple Scripts Concurrently Using Grinder

Gary Mulder-3
It's arbitrary

On 26 Jun 2015 22:47, "Christine Economy" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, Gary!   This is tremendously helpful now and also going forward working with Grinder.
> Thanks again - and for being willing to share your knowledge.  I always check
> Amazon for books on any new tech areas I venture into.  Didn't see one for The Grinder.
> Have you ever considered writing one?

Philip was one of the original authors of The Grinder and still is semi-active with the project and on this list.

http://www.amazon.com/J2ee-Performance-Testing-Peter-Zadrozny/dp/159059181X

> I do have one potentially dumb question I'd like to ask you about the parallel
> script:  where is the value of 4 coming from?  Why 4 in this case?

It is arbitrarily chosen in the sample, so yes it is a dumb number. Any conditional logic that decides what tests to run as a function of the Grinder thread id could be used. e.g. assuming you had a list of test class scripts testScript1.py, testScript2.py, testScript3.py create a Dict:

scaleFactor = 2.0
scenario = {'testScript1'              :  01 * scaleFactor,
            'testScript2'              :  05 * scaleFactor,
            'testScript3'              :  10 * scaleFactor}

for script in scenario.keys():
    exec("import %s" % script)

Then every Grinder thread created uses its thread id to determine which of the above should be executed to implement the scenario. The scaleFactor allows you to simply scale the load before the test starts, not during. You'll need to look at the other samples to see how to delay the start of the _call_() method to simulate you load scenario (ramp-up, down, etc). Its a bit more programmatic than LoadRunner, but allows much better fine control of execution and monitoring.

Gary