Intermitent stack trace

olivier merlin
Hello,
I'm using the last version and i get some times the following stack trace :
2015-02-03 07:46:11,958 ERROR worker-bootstrap: Error running worker process
net.grinder.communication.CommunicationException: Exception whilst sending message
        at net.grinder.communication.AbstractSender.send(AbstractSender.java:57) ~[grinder-core-3.11.jar:na]
        at net.grinder.communication.QueuedSenderDecorator.flush(QueuedSenderDecorator.java:60) ~[grinder-core-3.11.jar:na]
        at net.grinder.engine.process.GrinderProcess.sendStatusMessage(GrinderProcess.java:638) ~[grinder-core-3.11.jar:na]
        at net.grinder.engine.process.GrinderProcess.run(GrinderProcess.java:430) ~[grinder-core-3.11.jar:na]
        at net.grinder.engine.process.WorkerProcessEntryPoint.run(WorkerProcessEntryPoint.java:86) [grinder-core-3.11.jar:na]
        at net.grinder.engine.process.WorkerProcessEntryPoint.main(WorkerProcessEntryPoint.java:59) [grinder-core-3.11.jar:na]
Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: socket write error
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite0(Native Method) ~[na:1.7.0_75]
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:113) ~[na:1.7.0_75]
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:159) ~[na:1.7.0_75]
        at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(BufferedOutputStream.java:82) ~[na:1.7.0_75]
        at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flush(BufferedOutputStream.java:140) ~[na:1.7.0_75]
        at java.io.ObjectOutputStream$BlockDataOutputStream.flush(ObjectOutputStream.java:1822) ~[na:1.7.0_75]
        at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.flush(ObjectOutputStream.java:718) ~[na:1.7.0_75]
        at net.grinder.communication.AbstractSender.writeMessageToStream(AbstractSender.java:90) ~[grinder-core-3.11.jar:na]
        at net.grinder.communication.StreamSender.writeMessage(StreamSender.java:70) ~[grinder-core-3.11.jar:na]
        at net.grinder.communication.AbstractSender.send(AbstractSender.java:53) ~[grinder-core-3.11.jar:na]
        ... 5 common frames omitted

I'm wondering what is the root cause of this stack trace and if there is a way to avoid it, even by digging in the grinder code of course.
Thanks a lot for your support,
Long life to grinder.
Olivier

Re: Intermitent stack trace

Gary Mulder-3
On 3 February 2015 at 07:31, olivier merlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: socket write error

There's two ends to a socket and some wire in between. Its almost certainly not Grinder, but instead probably caused by the application you are testing. If you don't see any problems in your applications, check next your network and OS.

Gary

Re: Intermitent stack trace

olivier merlin
Hi Gary,

Nice to see Grinder is still alive. This is a marvelous tool, we are using every day ... so i hope it will continue.

I understand your point of view and most of the time it's working well ... but from time to time i have this stack trace,
and when i look at the detail of the stack trace i remark the cause is on:

at net.grinder.engine.process.
GrinderProcess.sendStatusMessage(GrinderProcess.java:638) ~[grinder-core-3.11.jar:na]

and it happens only when i take time to start my scenario but i have already started the grinder ...
so :
- the worker is started
- the Testrunner is launched only after a long time (i need to synchronize wit an external tool)

Could it be a problem of timeout or a specific protocol between the the worker and the console ?

cheers,
Olivier

On 3 February 2015 at 07:31, olivier merlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: socket write error

There's two ends to a socket and some wire in between. Its almost certainly not Grinder, but instead probably caused by the application you are testing. If you don't see any problems in your applications, check next your network and OS.

Gary

Re: Intermitent stack trace

olivier merlin
Hi,

Phil would probably answer that the truth is in the code ...
Right but if he could give some light or some tracks of this error ... or a way to hunt it down.

This is the only error so far that block me a few for our internal framework based on grinder ...

cheers,

[...]

for people that get the "write error" issue with the console, i have an explanation and a workaround:

Explanation:
If you have a long initialization in the TestRunner class above 30 seconds, you will get this message as the console doesn't appreciate long waiting as soon as you clicked on Start.
The default and cached value for the idle time tolerance value is 30 seconds. After this 30 seconds, it cut the socket.

Work around:
just expose as System variable the inactiveClientTimeOut variable in ConsoleCommunicationImplementation.java code.
We are so able to change it to 300 000 (5minutes) by configuration.
No a beautiful solution - but not complex one.

cheers,
Olivier