Quantcast

Example script for rmi testing

Velde, Erik Vande [FGCB]

Hello,

According to http://grinder.sourceforge.net/g3/features.html#Standards grinder supports the RMI protocol.

Does anyone have an example jython script available to test such communication?

I looked in the http://grinder.sourceforge.net/g3/script-gallery.html, but to no avail.

We are using spring remoting over RMI for our client/server communication, and I would like to do some load testing of the server.

Currently I’m trying to decide if jmeter or The Grinder is the best tool to execute such tests, RMI support is a key criterion for us …

Kind regards,
Fugro GeoConsulting

Erik Vande Velde
Senior Software Coordinator

Telephone: +32 (0)2 77 60 034 / Fax: +32 (0)2 77 60 319
E-mail: [hidden email] / Website: www.fugro.be
Address: Av. de Broqueville 12, 1150 Brussels, Belgium
VAT Nr: BE0418609636

Re: Example script for rmi testing

Philip Aston-2
Yes, RMI is no problem for The Grinder. The EJB example (http://grinder.sourceforge.net/g3/script-gallery.html#ejb.py) uses RMI.

You simply need to "translate" what a Java client would do into Jython (which often amounts to removing the type declarations, replacing braces with indentation, and getting the import statements right), then add the Spring libraries to the classpath used by the worker process.

- Phil

On 19/05/14 16:15, Velde, Erik Vande [FGCB] wrote:

Hello,

According to http://grinder.sourceforge.net/g3/features.html#Standards grinder supports the RMI protocol.

Does anyone have an example jython script available to test such communication?

I looked in the http://grinder.sourceforge.net/g3/script-gallery.html, but to no avail.

We are using spring remoting over RMI for our client/server communication, and I would like to do some load testing of the server.

Currently I’m trying to decide if jmeter or The Grinder is the best tool to execute such tests, RMI support is a key criterion for us …

Kind regards,
Fugro GeoConsulting

Erik Vande Velde
Senior Software Coordinator

Re: Example script for rmi testing

Velde, Erik Vande [FGCB]

Thanks for your answer, Philip.

As we are not using EJB’s, I decided to follow the Grinder+JUnit track, as described in http://charlesandrews.me/the-grinder-junit-using-unit-tests-as-load-tests/

The problem is that our RMI test case (attached as BusinessServiceTestSpring.java) is using SpringJUnit4ClassRunner, and I didn’t find a way to make it work from the attached junit.py.

Somehow the injected businessService was always null, while in a normal java run (same classpath, but main class org.junit.runner.JUnitCore instead of net.grinder.Grinder) the service was injected correctly by spring. Currently I’m using the BusinessServiceTester.java class in combination with exportBusinessEntities.py. Only one problem left: when I run the exact same test without console (runs = 25) I see a big difference in execution time between a ‘businessServiceTester = BusinessServiceTester(False)’ in the script and a ‘businessServiceTester = BusinessServiceTester(True)’.

When I run it from the console (runs = 0) there is no time difference between both scenario’s. I’m too new to ‘the grinder’ to understand the difference in the results, maybe you see the reason for this ???

[...]

BusinessServiceTestSpring.java (3K) Download Attachment
junit.py (2K) Download Attachment
BusinessServiceTester.java (3K) Download Attachment
exportBusinessEntities.py (1K) Download Attachment